Periodontitis

Welcome Forums Ask a periodontist Treatment Options Periodontitis

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jack Wasserstein, DDS 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My mouth is not in good condition at all. I’m 21, and I haven’t seen a dentist in three years. Throughout middle school and high school I really didn’t take care of my mouth, but for the past couple of years I felt like I have been taking better care of my mouth. Recently I noticed that the are in between my front lower teeth is black, I’m not sure whether it’s on my teeth or gums. It looks like periodontitis. This has caused me great distress because for the past couple of years I felt things were getting better since I was taking better care of my mouth.

I was just wondering if there is anything that can be done. I know that the damage probably can’t be reversed. What are the possible treatments? Can the black stuff in between my teeth be removed? I am going to schedule an appointment with a dentist ASAP, but what can I do in the meantime? Any help would be greatly appreciated

!

Anonymous

Hi Tuck,

Fortunately, given your age, you are probably in better shape than you think. Of course the first step is to see a dentist for an evaluation. The black areas could be calculus / tartar build up or tooth decay. If it is the former it can be removed by a dentist / hygienist, but unfortunately it wont brush off. If it is tooth decay your dentist can probably treat and restore that. As a rule of thumb, if the black area(s) are depressions or a holes in the tooth it is probably a cavity. If they are deposits or convex growths on the tooth it is probably calculus.

Your dentist will likely recommend a course of scaling and root planing (deep cleanings)as its likely you may be in the early stages of gum disease.

Although you can see a Periodontist first, given what you have described, seeing a dentist first is what I would recommend.

In the meantime, you should brush and floss your teeth and use an antibacterial mouthwash such as Listerine or Crest Pro-Health. I have been recommending the latter as a personal preference.

Hope that helps! Thanks for your question.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.